Thursday, August 27, 2009

Vacation to Virginia - Civil War Sites

These are actually pictures from last year. We visited a couple of ACW sites, and I thought that I would share some pics in case anyone wanted to see them.

Pamplin Park - National Museum of the Civil War Soldier
I would highly recommend a visit to this park if you are in Virginia. The Museum of the Civil War Soldier is one of the best that I have been to. Even my kids enjoyed it. One of the things they do which is rather cool, is that at the beginning, you pick out a soldier to "be your guide". You get an MP3 player, and as you go through the museum, your soldier tells you some of his experiences. Then at the end of the tour, you get to find out what happened to the soldier that you were listening to. It was pretty cool, because it puts you in touch with that man. One of my daughters cried when she found out that here soldier did not survive the war.
This Picture is of a local, small plantation.
Firing a canon
Reconstruction of defensive structures around Petersburg and Richmond.

Manassas National Battlefield

I loved visiting this park. It was a nice day, and a well kept up park
.

Here is a statue of "Stonewall" Jackson.













This is the "Stone House", and if I remember right, it was used as a hospital during the battles. The house has been slightly modified since the war. It has A/C and electric.










A reenactor (if that's how you spell it), going over the operations of the rifle. I believe this is an 1861 Springfield, but not positive.

This was right outside of the visitor center, which was actually a rather nice visitor center. I have been to some that had very little information, and this one did pretty well.



Firing the rifle










Cannons set up along the Henry House Hill which played a major part in the first battle of Manassas

No comments:

Post a Comment